Tuesday, February 2, 2016

If you were a middle schooler....


Last week, I had an opportunity to speak to a wonderful group of middle schoolers at the Latin School of Chicago. I told them a little of my history, plus a story that included a bit about a day that some kids in my middle school program called National Butt Day.

I won't tell you the story now, but it included someone in my grade calling me a fat bitch on a crowded subway train in New York. In short, I told the students this story because I wanted to let them know that as stinging and hurtful as that comment was, I managed to move on from it.

I didn't let it ruin my person-hood or my humanity. I had a pretty solid understanding of who I was by then, and again--although it was painful to have someone call me that--I grew up to be a fairly confident, self-loving and respecting person.

Before I left, however, I posed this question on my public Facebook Page "Fatgirlrunning":

If you were a middle school student, what message on body image would you appreciate the most?

 I have to say that I really enjoyed the multitude of truly awesome messages that people wish they had heard as middle schoolers. I wanted to share some of those responses:



Everyone looks different. It's what makes us special and unique. Embrace your uniqueness!
-April

 Be thankful every day that you have a body that works. You will also look back in 20 years and wish you could tell yourself how beautiful you really were. I know I wish I could. Focus on the beautiful things about yourself.
-Tania

You are a perfect YOU!
-Tamie

Do what makes you feel good and listen to yourself.
-Jolene

Eat to nourish your body.
-Lisa

Love YOUR body...it's ok to be different.
-Courtney

That the words we say to ourselves are important. Positive self-talk is part of being healthy.
-Mindy

You are beautiful and you have every right to feel that way. Do not ever give away your power!     
-Stefanie

That right now your body is going through so many changes it can be overwhelming. But it just means you are transitioning from a child into a young lady that will grow into a wonderful strong woman. Focus in what makes you happy and remember always be kind and uplifting to one another.
-Bridget  

Don't judge yourself based on other people's comments about you. People who criticize are often the ones that have the lowest self-image. Compliment others and it will always make you feel good. If you love yourself, you will be a positive role model for someone else. 
-Monique 

Being healthy and beautiful for that matter doesn't mean conforming to one specific body type. 
-Tribe Called Curl


WHAT WOULD YOU SAY TO YOUR MIDDLE SCHOOL SELF?


  

6 comments:

  1. http://youtu.be/wXhMqDotfLk

    Love this song. It's about what you would say if you had the chance to go back and tell "little you" what you wish you had heard when you were young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "My body is an amazing customizable machine for doing badass things. It can do pull-ups, run 50 miles, and grow other human beings. All it takes is time and training. That's pretty freaking amazing!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That being happy is a choice, and the little happinesses of daily life are often worth more than their weight in big ones.

      That depression, anxiety, the blackness or emptiness inside--all that is temporary and not a reflection of your worth.

      That those muscular calves, thighs, butt, and biceps are not something to be shrunk and dieted away. They are your gorgeous powerhouse that will carry you further and lift you higher than you ever imagined.

      Delete
  3. Judge choices, not people. If you aren't making the choices you want to make, change your choices. Remember that good people sometimes make bad choices (and that will include you throughout your life) so avoid judging people; instead, decide which of their choices you want to emulate or avoid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so awesome Mirna! I would say to myself: Stop worrying about being thin. Worry about being healthy & loving yourself!

    ReplyDelete